The Bulldog Beat

Why do Juniors read ‘The Great Gatsby’?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Why do Juniors read ‘The Great Gatsby’?

Why do Juniors read ‘The Great Gatsby’?  Is it to get a feel of what the twenties were? Is it to teach about the American Dream and how it is near impossible to achieve it? Is it about false success? Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. I asked some Juniors and some teachers their thoughts on Gatsby, and what they think they can learn from it.

E. Bridinger tells me, “Everyone has different morals, and you can own all you want in the world and yet still want more.”

H. Daly said, “The rich always win, people are selfish, and don’t cheat on your wife.”

E. Breton thinks that, “Everyone fights for something else, but we all have things that hold us back.”

M. Pfeiffer, when asked the question answered, “You  can’t repeat the past, and no matter how much money you have, you cannot buy happiness, but it can buy a car and that’s close enough..”

A. Sigala said, “Don’t be greedy. If you’re not greedy everything will be fine!”

G. Sinclair responded, “Even if you have money, you don’t always get what you want.”

When Asking Mrs Pierog she told me it teaches us about, “Unrequited love, and that some people are just evil.”

Mr. Tackmann answered that ‘The Great Gatsby’, “Is all about the American Dream, and what can go wrong if your motives are not pure.”

The nice thing about reading ‘The Great Gatsby’ is that multiple people learn multiple different things from it! We all learn something, whether it be to not cheat on your wife or to be kind. The Junior class reads The Great Gatsby to learn something new.