The student news site of Ionia High School

The Bulldog Beat

Rather Repairs

With the potential passing of the Ionia Public Schools sinking fund, comes the struggle of what to spend the money on. Each school has many different projects that need to be taken care of, but the money has its limits. There are certain things money from the sinking millage can and cannot do. For one, the money from the milage can only be used for cosmetic upgrades and improvements. The money can go toward construction and additions to buildings and parking lots, remodeling the already existing building, upgrading technology and security, developing and improving physical education and athletic facilities, energy conservation projects, fixing or replacing roofs, boilers, and air conditioners, along with potentially purchasing land. The money cannot go toward any wage increase for faculty, new furniture and equipment, new textbooks or other school supplies, and busing. All of the different projects will deal with four major categories: safety improvements, educational benefits, financial management, and resource management.

All repairs and upgrades can be broken down by schools throughout the Ionia Public School system. District-wide all schools will be provided with new flooring and interior needs; like replacing flooring and carpet that was installed anywhere between 1989 to 2001 depending on the school you’re in.

Pictured above is an example of the carpeting found

district wide throughout the schools.

Specifically when dealing with Rather Elementary School, restrooms need to be upgraded along with floors throughout the school. The playground equipment needs upgrading to make recess safer and more beneficial.

The building structure also needs to be upgraded. Windows needs to be upgraded for more security and for a more energy efficient environment. Exterior doors also need to be replaced due to rusting and damages with electronic card access.

Principal Magley, from Rather, thinks that the sinking fund millage is a good idea and is very excited for the millage to potentially be passed. When asked about the millage he said,” I am very excited about the Sinking Fund Millage because it will enable our district to improve and increase the amount of technology that is available for our students”.

Just a reminder that the vote for the Sinking Fund Millage will take place on Tuesday, November 7, 2017 to benefit the Ionia Public School system.