The student news site of Ionia High School

The Bulldog Beat

How to Pay For College

It’s that time of the year again! All around the country, high school seniors are busy trying to get into college and spend as little money as possible to get there. For some, getting scholarships is easy. For others, however, funding their education is their biggest worry. If you’re struggling in that way, follow these tips to get the most you can for your education.

1. First things first, fill out your FAFSA, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. To do this, go to fafsa.ed.gov and begin the process. It will ask you questions about your family’s financial situation to determine how much aid you need. This can open the door to grants, loans, and work study programs. This years pell grant is a maximum of $5,920 depending on need.
  2. After you apply for a college, look at the scholarships they offer. Almost every college offers merit scholarships based on grades and standardized test scores. If you don’t meet the requirements for the scholarship you want, you can always retake your SAT test and schools will accept the best score. Schools may also have scholarships based on the field you want to go into or athletics. Just search their website thoroughly until you find what you need.
  3. Check outside resources. There are many scholarship search engines that can take you to contests offered by independent companies. These can range anywhere from hundreds to the thousands of dollars. Some good search engines are Scholarship Owl and Niche. Most of these require an essay of sorts, so prepare for the months of writing ahead of you.
  4. Look at options for grants from your state government, Michigan’s can be found here. Grants are harder to come by than scholarships, but they give a substantial amount of money. There are grants for anything from low income families to military kids to single mothers.
  5. Finally, as a last resort, take out student loans. Try to pay these back as quickly as you can and participate in a work study to make it happen.

College is an exciting time for students who are prepared to move out and take on the responsibility of living on your own. Make it as easy as possible for yourself in the future by putting the effort in now to set you up successfully for the next four years.