The student news site of Ionia High School

The Bulldog Beat

The Beginning of Student Council

Student Council is a club in which student’s participate to create a good environment for their classmates and maintain positive student spirit. Student Council is known for helping to share students’ ideas, interests, and concerns with the rest of the student body and facility. They often help raise awareness for school-wide activities, which include the preparation for each football game, homecoming week, spirit weeks, pep assemblies, and so much more. Student Council is always looking for new members to expand their club that has so much to do with improving the atmosphere in our school. The officers are President, Autumn Mueller; Vice President, Mckenna Boley; Secretary, Grace Riccius; Treasurer, Rebecca Rowley; and Representative, Addison Baylis.

Student Council’s first official get together was after school on August 25th.   A group of members decorated the student section with a tropical theme in mind.  Meetings are held every Tuesday and freshmen are welcome. President, Autumn Mueller will be managing with the rest of the officers in Mrs. Swinehart’s room, 207. 

During the fall, members decorate our student section that follows the theme at our home football games. They also set up everything for homecoming week, putting together the pep assembly and finding two lucky seniors who will MC for us during school on Friday, and the parade held downtown on Main Street. The crowning of the king and queen follows the theme for the whole week. The festivities include setting up all the decorations for the dance on Saturday.

Operation Christmas is one of the biggest events. This is hosted with the help of Meijer and takes place in December. Schools from all over the district pick students who wouldn’t necessarily have a Christmas. The elementary students come to the high school, and before we take them to Meijer, we let them make Christmas cookies, hot chocolate, Christmas ornaments, and watch Christmas movies. Each member helps one or two students go shopping for their family and themselves.

Another project that Student Council manages, is the winter pep assembly, which is held the Friday, before Christmas break. Games are played by each grade with the hopes of beating one another in the races and eating contests. Student Council is also hoping before everyone leaves for Christmas break, they can conduct a pep assembly so everyone can leave school for the long break on a positive note.

During the Spring, not many events are happening as the time for seniors to leave school approaches quickly. Sports is one thing that never stops, so Student Council is always going to be involved in our, newly ran, student section. While sports is a big topic about school, prom is one of the most exciting things juniors and seniors look forward to, as the end of the year approaches. With prom being mentioned, Student Council wants to try to make a pep assembly focused in the Spring time, so we don’t lose student spirit but to also focus it around having a good time before we head off to enjoy prom away from town.

Involvement in school helps not only the students but the entire community. Student Council members are always remarking that they always get more out of it than what they put in.