The student news site of Ionia High School

The Bulldog Beat

Pitbulls: So Misunderstood

Blue, Anastasia’s year old pitbull.

Trigger, Anastasia’s grandmother’s two year old pitbull.

When people hear the word pitbull, they react very differently than they do if they hear another dog breed being mentioned. When they hear pitbull they think “dangerous” or “killers”. The only reason pits are getting such a bad rap is because it’s their turn to be the breed that the public has decided to hate. A few decades ago it was German Shepherds, and before that it was Rottweilers. Pitbulls are so popular for bad news right now because people keep training them to be aggressive and to fight other dogs.

People like the muscles on pits so they think they would be good guard dogs and fighting dogs. The people who favor pitbull’s for fighting are encouraging the idea that they are “super aggressive” and that they have a “lockjaw”. But, the fact that they have “lockjaw”, is a myth. They have a really strong bite, that’s true. The strength in their bite is because of the speed they were moving at and their weight which in turn ┬áplaces a lot of force into it. Same as with other big dogs. Pitbulls are not born aggressive, it’s their owners who make them so.

A pitbull’s behavior is based on weather or not they have a good or bad owner. If a pit has a good owner, then they will train and treat them properly, thus causing the pit to be good. If the pit’s owner is bad, they treat them horribly and train them to be aggressive, the pit will be bad.

People are scared to allow pitbulls around their kids. They are afraid that the dog is going to attack the child. Which would be very unlikely if the pit’s owner is responsible. A responsible pitbull owner will know their dog and know when their dog is getting overwhelmed and that they need to be removed from the situation. Which goes for all breeds of dogs.

I have been responsible for many pitbulls over the years, my family’s and mine. Pitbull’s are the main type of breed that my family gets when we get a dog. Mostly because we rescue animals, and pitbulls need to be rescued. I have been around many pitbulls over the years, and because of this I know what to look for: a wagging tail shows excitement, a cocked head shows interest, and hair raised on their back shows the first sign of aggression.

It’s not just pit bulls who have these signs, all dogs have them. If you know your dog, you know their signs. My Jack Russel-Chihuahua mix has the same signs as my pitbulls.