The Bulldog Beat

Foreign Exchange Students

Typically when you think of exchange students, you think about students from across the world who will soon realize how crazy the United States and its people really are. In reality, what we’ve all been thinking is a lie for most students and true for others. Specifically, exchange students from France don’t believe we are as weird as we think we are.

In my Psychology class we have two exchange students from France that both had a similar opinion on The U.S. The first exchange student stated that she believed Americans are a lot nicer than the people of France. She used the example of bumping into people in the hallway by saying “When you’re in America and you bump into someone in the hall, you apologize and they say ‘You’re good.’ and smile at you.” She then went on to say, “when you’re in France and bump into someone they give you a dirty look, get angry, and then keep moving.” It’s very different than I expected as most people would say Americans are rude and self centered. The second exchange student agreed that Americans are nicer than the people they’ve met in France.

The first exchange student made another claim that Americans are more mature than the students in France. The reasoning she used was that in America when a teacher leaves the room everyone just stays in their seats quietly waiting for the teacher to come back. She then told us, “in France when a teacher leaves the room, everyone gets up screaming and yelling across the room.” This was really unexpected because everyone assumes that Americans are much louder  than other countries. The first exchange student stated it’s weird how quiet we are when the teacher leaves, and that she just wants to be loud and have fun like back home.

The second exchange student spoke about how Americans dress, although this was not surprising. The second exchange student stated that in America we all wear sweatpants, leggings and big sweatshirts. She also stated how we don’t really do our hair and makeup everyday because we don’t care about how we look. She then told us that in France every girl does their hair and makeup and dresses up every day with high heels. It isn’t shocking that us Americans don’t usually care about how we look. The second exchange student also mentioned that their school has a smoke break and that some students even smoke by the teachers. This was shocking to find out, especially since our school is really breaking down on things such as vapes in our school.

Lastly, they made some statements that were undeniable and we all agreed on. They stated how bad our food is for our bodies, but that it tastes much better than the food they have back home. We also agreed on our school system being easier because our American schools care more about if we are learning and understanding material. Overall, I realized exchange students think we’re more normal than we think we are. When the exchange students were given a platform to talk to our class I was expecting to hear some rude things about us Americans, but instead they were very positive and kind towards us.