The Bulldog Beat

Learning to Let Go

Letting go is difficult, but it’s something you constantly have to do as you live from one day to the next.  It’s a necessary process of adapting to the ever-changing environment you live in – leaving behind the old to make way for the new.

There are many reasons you may want to let go sooner rather than later.  Maybe someone wants you to be someone you’re not, maybe you’ve had your trust broken too many times by the same person, or maybe you’ve simply been living a lifestyle that makes you unhappy.  The possibilities are obviously endless.

The idea of letting go can seem daunting, but it can be done if you approach letting go from an effective, creative perspective.  It’s not just telling yourself to “get your mind off of it by doing other things.”  That advice is too vague, and if it were that easy you’d already be doing it.

1.Write down your troubles and torch them.

Pour your heart’s troubles out onto a sheet of paper, make a paper ball, and toss your troubles into a fire.  This may seem like a very cliché movie-type scene, but it provides an amazing sense of closure.

2. Flip a coin.

Play a game with yourself.  Heads you move on.  Tails you let go.  Every time you find yourself pondering about yesterday’s sorrows, you have to play this game.  Keep flipping the coin and repeat it in your head.  Heads you move on.  Tails you let go.

3. Be inspired by the people around you.

Pick a comfortable place where there will be a lot of strangers walking around.  As you people-watch, you have to keep one thing in mind:  Realize that every single person on this Earth is a complex character living out his or her own real life movie script.  They are the protagonists of their own story, each complete with their own set of ideas, struggles and choices that led them to where they are now. They’re living an elaborate life filled with moments of celebration as well as hours of darkness, just like you.  You’re not alone in this world; we all work to move on from things every day.  Perhaps you’re just the background character in these stranger’s stories, but you’re definitely not alone in your struggles.

4. Tell yourself a horror story.

Envision that you stayed on the same path that made you realize you needed to let go and move on in the first place.  Picture the worst-case scenarios possible in an alternate universe. Picturing the worst-case scenario can give you new perspectives on your current situation.  Who knows how much worse it could have been?  Be glad there are still new opportunities out there and the future is going to feel exciting again.

5. Think about all the positive things happening right now.

Think of all the wonderful things happening.  There are thousands, probably millions, of wonderful things happening at this exact moment in time.  At this exact moment, there’s a high chance that somewhere in the world someone is in the exact situation you are, except they have accepted their situation and let go enough to move on.

6. Surround yourself with good friends.

You and several of your trusted friends need to go out in town and try to get lost (during the day).  The hard part isn’t just finding your way back; you’ll be surprised how hard it is to actually force yourself to get lost.  It’s an adventurous game that can help your mind let go of your comfort zone and needless worries.  You and your friends will be busy laughing, focusing on how to get lost, and then working together to find your way back home.