The student news site of Ionia High School

The Bulldog Beat

How Many People In Our School Do Drugs?

Photo by: Flickr Creative Commons image by Victor Casale

Marijuana, cocaine, meth, heroine. These are all drugs we’ve heard of but how many teens have actually used them? We all know the harm that drugs cause, but what is the reason why many people do them? Does it have to do with a medical issue or is it something other than that? Are students pressured by the wrong people, peer pressured into using, or are they doing drugs it just for the high?

Doing these drugs can be very dangerous; people could lose control, give up, and go crazy. They could black out and kill someone, hurt their family members, or push everyone away from them which can greatly affect them. By interviewing people around the school, I have gathered information on whether or not students and adults have used drugs and what their reasoning was for doing them or not.

“I don’t do drugs,” states 15 year-old Ian Shafer.  I asked him what his perspective was on drugs.  His response was, “I think it puts you in a bad state of mind. After you do them, you may not know what you are doing. I understand people do it and I’m fine with that, but I don’t do it because I’m afraid of the effects.”

After interviewing Shafer, I found another student who was very open and willing to let me interview them. Their answer to whether or not they have used drugs before was, “I’ve done drugs: Marijuana, Ritalin, Xanax, and Norcos.” This 16 year-old sophomore has used these drugs either for fun or to just escape life for awhile. Doing drugs isn’t a smart idea because even though it makes a person feel good in the moment, one can easily become addicted to them and lose a lot of things in their lives.

Along with interviewing students in the high school, I also interviewed teachers and high school staff.  One teacher stated, “I’ve never used drugs. I was pressured into it before, but never did it. I have never even considered it because I think that drugs are something that need to be respected since they can create dangers. I’ve stayed away from them because of the stress they can add into my life”.

When asking a substitute teacher what their perspective on drugs was, she explained, “I’ve had a bad perspective on drugs, since my family has been ruined by alcohol; to me alcohol is a drug. Drugs can lead to even more damaging drugs. Alcohol can also lead to drugs because it might not be strong enough for people to escape what it is they are running from. This is a cycle and it’s very difficult to come up and come straight.” I started to get personal and ask more questions about how this has affected her life. “I’ve lost a lot as a result of my husband being an alcoholic. I’ve had a very respectable family up until recently when my husband started drinking as well as using drugs. Children and teenagers need to be taught to face the bad things in life instead of running away from them.

Drugs don’t do anything right, but take you in further. They take their demand claws, grabbing you by the legs, taking you further down to where you lose everything and everyone you had. Don’t take that path, stand up to the bad things because they are going to keep coming back, and if you take the “easy way out” by doing drugs, then you will stay in that cycle, making it very difficult to recover.

1 Comment

One Response to “How Many People In Our School Do Drugs?”

1. Kim L. on March 28th, 2017 4:08 pm

I agree with you except that when you stated that Marijuana is a drug. There are absolutely zero negative affects on the human body

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• How Many People In Our School Do Drugs?

Editorial

Growing Up Fast

Student Life

Choosing a Path After High School

News

Results from the School’s Water

Editorial

Fidget no Longer With The Fidget Cube!!!

Clubs & Activities

Week of 5/8 to 5/12 with S.A.D.D

Clubs & Activities

IHS Link Crew is looking for new members!

Events

Interact Holds Human Trafficking Dinner

Student Life

Cap Consternation!

Student Life

Gender Sexuality Alliance

Events

Snowcoming

How Many People In Our School Do Drugs?