The Bulldog Beat

What it’s Like in the Student Section of a High School Basketball Game

There are a lot of ups and downs that you have to deal with during a basketball game and it can get really rowdy. I’m going to use the Portland game as a example. Anytime we play Portland it’s usually a pretty good game and ends in our favor, I honestly think they should be our rival, not Lakewood.

The start of the game is always pretty exciting because one of the teams will get out to an early lead, which in this case was us. We always try to get in the heads of the other players, and it helps that the student section is really close to the court so they can definitely hear us. At all the games they give out papers of the names of all the players, so we use that by saying their name every time they have the ball or mess up. We throw in chants every once in awhile. For example, in this game we chanted Ionia County because Portland people call it Portland county just because they beat us in football. We were winning the whole game and ended up winning 51-40 and we didn’t let Portland hear the end of it. They always take everything back to football for some reason, so they were holding up a sign that said 2-7 because that was our record for football. You always have to find something to get back at them so we wrote a sign that said 42-7, which was the score of the state championship game that they lost against Unity Christian. They are in our league so we play them twice, and this time it’s in our house on January 25th. So there’s no telling what kind of trash talk stirs up by then and what will happen at the game.