The Bulldog Beat

Ionia Varsity Basketball

On Friday, march 1st the Ionia Bulldogs played against the Portland Raiders in the finals for districts. This was the third time that these two teams faced each other and the past two meetings ended with a victory for the Bulldogs.

On Friday Ionia was playing for their second consecutive district title. With a lot on the line, Ionia struggled to get into their groove and by the end of the first half only 10 points separated the two teams. In previous matchups Ionia was able to lead Portland by much more than 10 points, so Portland was playing for everything Friday night.

With the start of the second half Ionia began playing with much more energy and began to take control of the game. Ionia started to run away with the game and had all of their fans on their feet cheering. The atmosphere was electric as Ionia brought the ball down the court. With 16 seconds left in the game and Ionia being up by 10 points they subbed out their starters and put some fresh legs on the court. After Portland made one last shot Skyler Roberson got the rebound with 5 seconds left and charged for the Raiders basket, after just passing the half with only 1 second left he took his shot and sunk the buzzer beater. It was an exciting end for Ionia as they won their second straight district title.