The Bulldog Beat

Big News for Ionia Wrestling

Good news for Ionia wrestling fans, this past Saturday (December 8th), Ionia’s wrestling team went to the annual Delton Kellogg wrestling team meet and walked out as champions. This is the first time Ionia wrestling has won a team tournament since 2001, yes you read that correctly. Since 2001. 17 years with no first place, a lot of seconds but finally, that 1st place trophy. Things are looking really good for Ionia’s team this year and for the years to come.

Ionia wrestled 5 times Saturday, they wrestled Thornapple Kellogg, Delton Kellogg, Kalamazoo Central, Parchment, and Paw Paw. Ionia had close matches with Thornapple, Kalamazoo, and Paw Paw but pulled off the win in all 3. Ionia had  5 wrestlers go 5-0 on the day. Saturday’s tournament win has been the talk around the school with teachers and students talking about it. Middle School Coach Craig Bowen comments saying that, “Even the middle school wrestlers are coming up to me and saying, “Did you hear?!? They won the tournament!” We are finally doing something good here boys.” This was Luke Smalley’s first team tournament as Ionia’s head coach. He is technically undefeated in team tournaments right now. The team’s overall record as of now is 6-1.

Things are really looking good for the future of Ionia’s wrestling team and fans should be very excited. Winning a team tournament was one of the teams big goals of the season and has already checked that off their list. The team is working towards a winning team record for the year and it’s looking like it’s probably going to happen.  Although the team wrestles Lowell in their first round of team districts, they are really looking forward to a good team record/season even if it doesn’t go on past team districts.