The Bulldog Beat

Ionia Wrestling District Preview

2019 wrestling is going to be a little different for Ionia wrestlers. Ionia’s high school wrestling team has been in District 14-2 the past years, but for the 2018-2019 season they have been moved to 12-2. District 14-2 has been one of the tougher districts in the past years with teams like Eaton Rapids, Dewitt, Mason, Chesla all solid schools with solid wrestling teams. Now Ionia will be in the 12-2 district with teams such as Lowell, Middleville, Byron Center and East Grand Rapids.

This season should be very different because this year for team districts Ionia will more than likely wrestle off against Lowell, the returning state champs for the past 4 years. Lowell is clearly on another level compared to other schools in Division 2. This will affect the entire wrestling team and fans in the stands. It will be a very tough thing to accomplish but anything is possible.

The good news is the road for Individual states might be a little bit easier now that the Districts have been switched. In district 14-2 it was pretty up in the air at some weight classes as to who would move on to regionals, with some clear winners at other weights.  In District 12-2, Lowell will qualify at least one at every weight class so wrestlers will be fighting for 3 spots instead of 4. Although that seems pretty bad for all the wrestlers, it might not be that bad. Although they are fighting for 3 spots instead of 4 the other spots may be easier to move people onto regionals. This should really excite Ionia High School students, because the last students to make it to Individual state was Cameron Mahlich and Trevor Piggott in 2017.

This should really hit home for wrestlers and wrestling fans of Ionia High School knowing that they may have an easier route to Individual states. It is always is impressive when a school brings multiple people to individual states. Ionia has never gone more than 4 years without qualifying at least 1 wrestler. Let’s keep the streak alive, and wish our wrestlers good luck this year in the new district.