The Bulldog Beat

The meaning of Track and field

What does track and field mean to you? Is it more than just a sport? Many student athletes will do track and field as preparation for another sport or to “get in shape.” Other students will simply join track and field for the social part of it. All of these reasons are valid, although, to other student athletes track and field is their passion, there is meaning to the sport.

Track and field means hard work, determination, dedication, and family. I love running track, though, my main passion is pole vault. Every time I vault I experience a high. I love the adrenaline I get when waiting for the gun to sound in the starting block or when I go to plant with my pole in hand. Being able to fly through the air and feel the freedom and excitement is inspiring. Track and field is not only an individual sport but also a team sport, which is one the the main reasons why I love it. In order to be successful you must work as a team and compete individually. The overall score depends on both factors. Some people view track as a reason for something else, whereas, track to runners and jumpers is the “something else.” It is our way of life. Our sport is your sport’s punishment.

I have been pole vaulting for nearly 4 years. I started my freshman year of high school and have been doing it ever since. I first developed interest in pole vault when my cousin started vaulting in high school. She is a couple years older than me so I was in 8th grade at the time. Watching her was very interesting, but I never really had the urge to do it. Until, my grandpa told me that I would be good at it and encouraged me to try it. I was kind of nervous to try it at first but my grandpa kept telling me to so I took his word. I went to one practice and loved it. I continued to stick with it and throughout the years I developed a deep passion for vaulting. I do not know what I would do without pole vault, it is my escape from everything. As I continued vaulting through high school, my grandpa made me promise him that I would break the school record. A few days later he passed away, since then he has become my biggest motivator.  My grandpa is the reason I started pole vault and the reason I want to continue it.

In fact, I am looking into colleges where I can continue to vault.  I have had many out of state colleges contact me, wanting me to be a part of their team as well as colleges in the state of Michigan. I am a homebody, therefore, I do not have interests in attending school out of state. Colleges such as Hope, Albion, Alma, Detroit Mercy, Cornerstone, SVSU, and Aquinas have taken interest in my athletics and academics. As of right now, at all of these schools, I would be one of their top vaulters. My biggest contender between colleges is SVSU because they are a division 2 school and I am one of their top 3 vaulters already even though I still have a whole year of high school to improve.

SVSU does offer scholarships, however, they are limited because there are other talented athletes in different sports. Considering they are a division 2 school, their competition is more difficult. They are still a university but smaller than the average university. In order to receive scholarships you have to be able to place at their conference meet (which is the top 3 places) or vault a significant height your senior year of high school. Other colleges such as Hope, Alma, Aquinas, and Cornerstone are private schools, meaning a vast amount of them do not give any type of athletic scholarships. In the private colleges I often find myself being their top vaulter if not somewhere in their top 3, considering how small they are and that they are a private school, there is not as much competition.  The college I choose to attend after high school will be one that I can continue to pole vault competitively. I love my sport, it is my passion.