The student news site of Ionia High School

The Bulldog Beat

The Reality of Injuries

Gabrielle Groom is a senior at Ionia High School. She is involved in many different activities and has tried all types of sports, although she has a special love for just one of them. Groom’s freshman year of high school she decided she was going to run on the track team. After trying it and not really enjoying it, she decided she was going to try playing high school level girls soccer.

She made the JV team her sophomore year and was the starting goalie for the season. She knew that this was the sport that was meant for her, “It has the perfect amount of running, sprinting, and it still brings an aggressiveness that I love,” explains Groom when asked why she fell in love with it.

She then went on to play varsity her junior year, but in the second game of the season during her junior year was when she tore her ACL and was out for the season. “I was devastated when the doctor told me I was done for the season and that I would need surgery and that the next eight months of my life was going to look a lot different than what I am used to.” Gabby then went on and spend what ended up being the next nine months doing physical therapy. Everyday it was her goal to get stronger and stronger to be able to return to play soccer for her senior year. She was cleared to play at the beginning of January and went right into playing on an indoor league.

She was so excited and really worked hard but things just weren’t coming back as natural as they came when she first started playing. Three weeks into her indoor season, she tore the same ACL which caused severe damage to other parts of her knee as well. It has now been a year since she tore her ACL for the first time and she has two surgery scars to prove her toughness. Groom explained the extent of her injuries, “The first time it happened, I could only think about how you hear this happening to other people, you never think it will be yourself until you are sitting in a hospital bed recovering from your second surgery because you caused another ACL blow which resulted in unaccounted for damage this time.”

Gabby is still mentally and physically recovering but, she has learned many life lessons from this, “I’ve learned that life is hard, but I’m walking and that’s more than some people can say so I’d say I’m pretty lucky. Some days are harder than others, but then I look back on all the blessings that have happened and I can’t help but smile.”