The student news site of Ionia High School

The Bulldog Beat

Marching into Fall 2017

The Ionia Marching Bulldogs of 2014

The Ionia Marching Bulldogs of 2014

The Ionia Marching Bulldogs of 2014

With approximately 120 members, the Ionia Marching Bulldogs perform several complex shows. Every year, students who participate in marching band go to band camp for five days, where they learn basic skills and each one of their positions in their show. Before the band performs at any competitions or Friday night football games, there are Monday night practices that help prepare each of the members to do their best and help the entire marching band. With the help of three drum majors, section leaders, amazing coaches, and the wonderful directors, the band gives phenomenal performances.

There are about ten section in Marching Band, including trumpets, flutes, clarinets, drumline, color guard, and many more. The sections work together in several ways. The section leaders help each other run each meeting and perform in the best way. But the biggest part of the band are each student that tries their hardest to put everything they have into the thing they love doing.

Senior, Justin Rickert , who’s last year of marching was this year said, “When I first started I was really shy. They (Mr. Beyer, other teachers, and section leaders) told me to yell at all of the parades and step out of my comfort zone. I’ll miss Mr. Beyer’s tidbits of wisdom said in the dumbest way but was really helpful. My favorite quote from Mr. Beyer is, ‘Life is like Mario Kart; if you’re in second place the whole race you lose every time, but if you’re in first you get hit by the blue shell at the end and lose any way. But atleast you tried.’ “,  when he was asked how marching band has changed his life and what he will miss most.

2016 Ionia Marching Bulldogs perform during the halftime show at a Friday night football game.

An email from Mr. Beyer quotes, “The modern day (2003-2017) Marching Bulldogs consists of highly skilled, athletic, talented, and intelligent group of individuals that work together to achieve a high level of musicianship and success. The band consists of 110-120 students grades 9-12. Many of these musicians are also scholars, athletes, actors, student council members, have jobs, and are actively engaged in the community. The Ionia Marching Bulldogs compete at 5-6 competition each year and also attend District Marching Festival.  For the past 10+ years, the band has earned a First Division Rating at District Marching Festival and numerous 1st place finishes at competitions. They have also earned many awards for best color guard, percussion, marching, drum major, and music. The band competes in the SMB (Scholastic Marching Band) where many other outstanding Class B high schools compete. On any given year the band finishes in the top 5 in the south west area of Michigan. The show themes are chosen to encompass the musical aspect of the music.  Typically the music will dictate and lead to a show theme.  Music is chosen to challenge, entertain, and provide a successful musical experience both visually and aurally for the audience, performers, and judges.  The show should consist of various opportunities for successful marching, body control, interesting visual color guard work, areas to feature different soloists and instrumental sections.”

The upcoming marching season of 2017-2018 is making a lot of students nervous. Color guard tryouts are being held on Wednesday, May 24th. Other tryouts will be held later in the year. The season is sounding like it is going to be great and very exciting.