The student news site of Ionia High School

The Bulldog Beat

Ionia Sinking Fund Millage

Needs pictures

“Currently, only 1% of the total general fund budget is allotted for annual facility needs, technology, and capital improvements. The rest goes to maintenance technology, budget goes to various categories such as utilities, custodial salary, and benefits.” states Mr. Wilson. This basically means that 99% of the money goes to school supplies and salaries, etc. The money should really go towards fixing the roofing, flooring, and everything else that needs to be replaced or fixed.

On November 7th 2017, the voting will be held at traditional voting places, Township halls, or established precinct voting places. There won’t be a big outcome since this may be the only issue on the ballot.

If the ballot is passed, then taxes get raised, but don’t worry too much. Taxes are raised based on the property owner’s home market value. For example, on a home market value of $50,000, the approximate monthly impact would be $6.25. If the home market value is $150,000, then the approximate monthly impact would be $18.75.

“In June 2017 we were able to balance our budget. However, this required almost $1.2 million in cuts. We were fortunate that the cuts did not result in elimination of programs, but this may not be possible moving forward. As our buildings and technology age, the need for funds to maintain and upgrade will exceed lagging per pupil funding” states Wilson. The non-allowable use of district sinking funds are wages and benefits, new furniture and equipment, textbook and supplies, and buses. The sinking fund will be focused more on upgrading technology like the computers in the computer labs that have been there for 11 years. Imagine using an 11 year old cell phone, that’s what our students have to use at school.

This is one of many articles that will be published. There will be ones separate on the schools so readers are informed with what needs to be fixed or replaced in that school.