The student news site of Ionia High School

The Bulldog Beat

Prom Review

Ionia students at last years prom. Photo courtesy of Mrs. Fuller.

Students dream about their junior and senior prom night, spending the evening dancing and being around people they have spent the last three to four years with. Several students go visit their close family, take pictures, eat dinner, and meet up with their friends. Prom is one of the most important nights for high school students.

Rylee Beutler said, “Prom is important to me because it’s a way for all of us to get together one last time. We talk to more people that we probably wouldn’t talk to on a regular basis. It’s one of the last times we can be happy as a school.”

Mya Bianchi tells us, “Prom is important to me because at the end of the school year everyone is tired of school work and we are able to release stress with our peers.”

“Prom is a chance where we can enjoy all of our time together with our friends and classmates”, Hannah Ogden explains.

The theme for this years prom was masquerade. It was held at  Grand Rapids Cultural Center. It is beautiful venue connected to St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church. The prom committee decorated using red, black, and gold. Catering was provided by Martha’s Catering from Grand Rapids. The DJ was DJ IZZY, with surprise guest singer Benny (Brian) Camacho.  Benny once auditioned for The Voice. Izzy is also a well known barber in Ionia. Our photographers provide a photobooth and formal photography. Photographers were Brick Street Studio, Karlee Brown and Marisa Henry.This information came from Mrs. Fuller, who is the prom committee’s advisor.

Teachers from the school have the opportunity to attend prom as chaperones. They play a huge role in the operation. The staff at IHS that attended prom this year told us some of their favorite things from prom.

Mrs. Fuller said, “My most favorite thing about prom is that all students arrived at the Grand Rapids Cultural Center safely, and they also arrived to their post-prom destinations safely. My second most favorite thing about prom is that everyone looked so beautiful. My third most favorite thing about prom was that it was a celebration. My fourth most favorite thing about prom is that students behaved in a mature manner and reflected well on our school, our community, and their families. My fifth most favorite thing about prom is that we had wonderful chaperones who dedicated the evening to our students to help ensure safety and having a great time.”

“I had a great time at prom teaching students how to dance!” exclaimed Mr. Duley, Welch High School Principal.