The student news site of Ionia High School

The Bulldog Beat

History with Hengesbach

Who is Mr.Cody Hengesbach? Mr.Hengesbach is our new World History teacher, replacing Mr Barr, who is our new Athletic Director. He is a recent graduate of Central Michigan University. At a future date, Mr.Hengesbach wants to become a coach.

Mr.Hengesbach majored in Social Studies with a minor in History. “My style of teaching varies day by day. I enjoy days where I give direct instruction via lecture or notes; however, there are also days where students work individually or in groups to learn the information and I act as more of a facilitator who is there to make sure students are on the right track and answer questions. I believe teachers should change up their teaching methods quite often as no two students learn the same way.”

His favorite music to listen to is Classic Rock and a little bit of Rap, his favorite band would be the Rolling Stones. When asked about his favorite historical figure and monument or memorial, Mr.Hengesbach answered with, “My favorite monuments are the Jefferson and Lincoln Memorials and my favorite historical figure is Thomas Jefferson.”

When Mr.Hengesbach was asked, ‘if you could teach another subject other than World History, what would it be and why?’ He responded with an excellent answer, “Although my day is filled with teaching World History, I would eventually like to teach a current events class that deals with what’s going on in the world today. I believe a class like that could be very relevant and interesting for many high school students, but I also am very eager to teach my students about the Industrial Revolution.” Mr.Cairns and Mr.Hengesbach will be working together on project based learning as they are going on because they both teach World History. He’s hopes there will be some fun projects they will work on.

“My style of teaching varies day by day. I enjoy days where I give direct instruction via lecture or notes; however, there are also days where students work individually or in groups to learn the information and I act as more of a facilitator who is there to make sure students are on the right track and answer questions. I believe teachers should change up there teaching methods quite often as no two students learn the same way.”

— Mr.Hengesbach

A Freshman that was interviewed said “The way Mr.Hengesbach teaches is an excellent way and I learned a lot more than what I thought I would, so in the near future I think that he’ll be one of the best History teacher’s there will be in this school.”

Other students recommend having Mr.Hengesbach for a teacher because his style of teaching everyday is never the same and practically everyone understands and earns really good grades at the beginning of the first semester.