The Bulldog Beat

Students and Proper Temperature

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students and Proper Temperature

There have not always been cool classrooms, but times are changing. Some schools (like ours) do not have air conditioning. But the ones that do, have better test scores and their students seem to learn better in those warmer months. Having climate controlled classrooms helps students learn and focus better, and here’s how.

A Science Research Club from Westview High School in Beaverton, Oregon did a study on how test scores differ depending on the temperature of the room the students were in. Their first test did not have solid evidence, so the group set up portable classrooms for ninth graders with their own HVAC system so that the room temperatures varied by 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Students took the test, and their scored were averaged room to room. The average test scores for students in different classes were similar in the same category (cold 78% and 74%); (control 87%, 92% and 93%); (too warm 72% and 73%). (healthyschools.cefpi.org)

Now you may be thinking, ‘We should get AC for our schools,’ but the main problem with that is that commercial air conditioners cost a fortune. According to many sources, the cost could be upward of 1 million dollars. A school named Indian Prairie School District 204 in Aurora, Illinois did the math for cooling the buildings of their district, and the cost for cooling just one of their elementary schools would be 1.9 million dollars. (ipsdweb.ipsd.org)

Most schools don’t realize the benefits of having a good climate for their students or teachers, but they are right about the high cost. But students would seem to work better in climate controlled classrooms preferred to too cold or too hot.