The student news site of Ionia High School

The Bulldog Beat

What is MS?

Lisa Hinds's Story of Living with MS

Lisa Hinds standing with her two daughters, Kasie Schwab on the left and Amber Schwab on the right.

Lisa Hinds is one of 2.5 million people around the world who have MS. Multiple Sclerosis (MS), is a chronic, typically progressive, disease involving damage to nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord, whose symptoms may include numbness, problems with speech, issues with muscular coordination, blurred vision, and severe fatigue. Not all symptoms are the same. It’s different for everyone. This illness can not be cured but treatments are very helpful.

Lisa is 43 years young and was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in April of 2011. She was 37 at the time. She started noticing strange things going on in October of 2010. Just after January first of 2011, her entire left side of her body went numb. She saw doctors and had several procedures to see what was going on. Things continued to worsen. Her speech was getting away from her and her every day functions were becoming harder for her.

She went for blood work, a spinal fluid analysis, and evoked potentials. She was sent for steroids to help stop the relapse she was having and hopefully some of her symptoms would get better.

“I couldn’t believe I had MS! These things happen to other people, not me. My life was just starting again – remarried, new house, everything. I read about MS and it was so scary and uncertain.”

After she had treatments of steroids, it took Lisa about a year to start feeling better. She still doesn’t have any feeling in her left hand. A lot of the symptoms are better, just not 100%.

Lisa says that so many things have changed in the last 5 years.  “I’m not social anymore. Just getting groceries is a challenge for me. A lot of things are distorted  and make it even more challenging for me. Even the music I use to listen I can’t listen anymore.”

Being outside in the summer makes her symptoms worse. Any weather over 70 degrees makes it hard for her to function.

Almost two years ago, she left the office where she worked. She worked there for almost 15 years. Now she gets shots three times a week and takes several medications to help her.

She also said that the worse thing about MS is that her mind does not work the way it use too. There are more to illnesses than just the eye can see. Lisa is very hard working and she tries her best not to let MS get in the way of the things she loves. She is very strong willed and has a big heart, but she isn’t alone.

Lisa is not the only one that suffers from this illness. The staff at IHS also has many family members and friends who have been impacted by MS. Some teachers have lost parents, grandparents, aunts, and cousins to MS, while others reported having friends who were diagnosed.

March is national MS awareness month. There are Multiple Sclerosis walks held in Michigan that encourage anyone and everyone to come support people with MS.