The Bulldog Beat

Impact of Robotics on the Students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Impact of Robotics on the Students

On Tuesday, September 4th, the Ionia High School Robotics and Digital Design classes were awarded a $10,000 grant from America’s Farmers Grow Rural Education Monsanto Fund. The official presentation of the check was held in the Robotics room across from the Student Services Office at 2pm. The money from the grant was used to buy interactive digital design tablets and easy to move chairs for the classes. You could tell the students were very excited and grateful for the grant. They were beaming the entire time happy that someone wanted to help them out and invest in something they love to do.

The pride was evident in senior Ben Salyer’s voice when talking about the grant. Ben said that he just loves robots and technology in general so when he heard about the STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) Pathway that Principal Gurk wanted to create, he was very excited and he got involved. “I took a lot of part in why this course is here today. I’ve actually talked to a lot of those guys asking for grants and I’ve been to a lot of board meetings so I got to know a lot of people,” Ben said. He was very passionate about the subject and was eager to tell everyone about what they had accomplished.

Another student, junior Austin Speckin, expressed the same love that Ben did. He said that he has loved robots his entire life and by the age of five he was building RC cars. He was so excited when he heard about the Robotics course because he looks at them as a better alternative for human workers so they don’t have to do the dangerous jobs. He used the idea that welding is seen as a dangerous profession and now you can program robots to do it so it’s not as hazardous for people. But also for Austin, it opens up job opportunities. “There are just so many careers you can take with this. I’m keeping my mind open for the armed forces,” said Austin. Austin shared that his family has always been deeply invested in the armed services and hoped to follow in their footsteps working with technology and robots. And that truly shows just how much technology and robotics matter. It has so many opportunities whether it be with the armed forces or big companies.

Sometimes, the interest stems solely on the pure curiosity in it and creating things. Senior Macey Quinn said that was her main interest. She started off in robotics club and thought maybe it would be fun to take the classes in the STEAM Pathway to get to know more about how things work and how you can create things. “I’ve always been interested in how things are built, how things are done, and computers,” Macey said excitedly knowing that with the grant the class could move forward and expand even more.

Design by Macey Quinn made by the interactive tablets

Everyone had a different reason for being in there, but they all shared the same love for the class and the subject of robotics and technology in general. Ben has always loved robots and he’s hoping to get a job doing that someday, Austin shares the same love, but wants to go into the armed forces, and Macey was just curious about it and fell in love with the class. For whatever the reason, those students and many others were very thankful for the grant and they’re going to accomplish big things.