The Bulldog Beat

Shop with a Hero 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

Shop with a Hero 2018

On Tuesday, December 4th, 23 members of the National Honor Society volunteered to help wrap presents for the Shop with a Hero program at Meijer. The Shop with a Hero program takes members of local law enforcements including the Ionia County Sheriff’s Department, Ionia Public Safety Officers, Michigan Department of Corrections, LIFE EMS, and various other Police Departments and Fire Departments from across the county and pairs them up with children in the community to buy presents for Christmas that they otherwise wouldn’t have been able to get.

Meijer provided each hero/child duo with a $100 gift card to use for their Christmas shopping. Children could spend the money to buy presents for not only themselves, but also their siblings, parents, and in some cases even grandparents. Meijer also provided the kids with food for lunch and they contacted NHS for the gift wrapping.

When the NHS members arrived, they were escorted into the backroom where all the stock is held by the bathrooms in the sporting goods department. From there, the volunteers were split into groups of two, three, or four to wrap presents for the children after they finished their lunch and their shopping. When the pairs of shoppers came into the backroom, they could choose a table and the volunteers at the corresponding table would wrap whatever presents the children needed wrapped and decorate them with name tags and bows if the child chose to have it on there.

Around the holidays, National Honor Society really tries to go above and beyond for the children in Ionia to have a good Christmas between wrapping presents for Shop with a Hero and working at the Toys 4 Tots toy distribution at the fairgrounds later in December. NHS members really enjoy helping out with those kinds of things that involve children and the children love seeing the NHS members. Even though at times life can be stressful for both groups of people, seeing the smiles that come out of volunteering really make everything else go away and you get a good feeling knowing that you’re making someone else’s day.

Seniors Madison Trueblood, Brooke Gregory, and Camyrn Simon are ready to go.

Best friends Nick Brown, Hannah Lennemann, Anna Winters, Kimberlyn Hollon-Morseau, and Jillian Merrifield can’t wait to wrap presents.

New inductees Abby Flanagan and Zakk Hensley pose before their first Shop with a Hero wrapping event.