The Bulldog Beat

National Honor Society Induction 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

National Honor Society Induction 2018

On Wednesday, November 7th, thirty National Honor Society inductees prepared to be formally inducted into Ionia High School’s 56th chapter. The ceremony took place in room 304 at 7 pm, preceded by a potluck dinner for the senior members, the new inductees, and the family of the new inductees at 6 pm.

At promptly 7, senior member Connor Stewart played the piano as senior members filed into room 304 followed by the officers Abby Frost, Nick Brown, Allison Shattuck, Trevor Stedman, and Jenna Adams leading six new inductees each. After the last inductee reached their seat, Abby turned around and allowed the new inductees to sit down while the five officers took their seats in front of the crowd behind Mrs. Shattuck, the adviser, Principal Gurk, and Judge Sykes, the guest speaker. Abby then led the crowd in the Pledge of Allegiance and began the ceremony.

Mrs. Shattuck then took to the podium introducing the officers and their roles before inducting them officially as officers. Abby then began the candle lighting ceremony, lighting the large white candle in the middle of the table, representing knowledge. One by one, each officer lit a candle representing one of the four pillars of National Honor Society: leadership, character, service, and scholarship before taking to the podium themselves to speak on which pillar they were given.

The officers with advisor Mrs. Shattuck from left to right: President Abby Frost, Vice President Nick Brown, Secretary Allison Shattuck, Treasurer Trevor Stedman, and Historian Jenna Adams.

After the final officer was done, they all took their seats again and Principal Gurk took to the podium to introduce the Honorable Judge Sykes as the guest speaker for the evening. After Judge Sykes finished his speech, the official induction of new members began. Each officer read off six names one at a time, and each inductee would sign the official records book, receive a candle, light their candle off of one the candles the officers lit earlier, receive membership cards, and stand on the risers to wait for everyone else to get done. When everyone was on the risers, the officers led the inductees in the National Honor Society pledge, finalizing their induction.

A farewell was said by Nick and before anyone could leave, induction pictures had to be taken. After the induction pictures were taken, the new members and the officers were allowed to leave putting a cap on the night.

The new inductees of the 2018-2019 school year stand for pictures with the officers.