The Bulldog Beat

National Honor Society Hopefuls

On August 29th, the senior National Honor Society officers met with all eligible juniors and seniors seeking membership for this upcoming year. The meeting was held during achievement hour and was hosted and led by advisor Mrs. Shattuck, President Abby Frost, Vice-President Nick Brown, Secretary Allison Shattuck, Treasurer Trevor Stedman, and Historian Jenna Adams. The meeting went over not only the application, but also the process that you have to go through to obtain membership.

In order to be considered for NHS, you must have certain qualities. You must have the Four Pillars: scholarship (a 3.5 or higher GPA), leadership, character, and service.  You must be willing to sacrifice yourself to do better for the community in your own way without sacrificing your grades. All senior members are also required to obtain 2 leadership hours by either being the captain of a team, section leader in band or choir, a leader in the classroom or community, or being an officer in a club.

The first thing every member must do is receive a letter notifying them that they are eligible for membership this year. After that, the next step is attending the meeting that was held on the 29th in order to receive an application and reference sheet. The application is the last official step in the process before the induction ceremony. You must fill out a sheet detailing all the things you do in school and out including leadership activities, sports, and community service. If you are having issues filling it out, you can always see Mrs. Shattuck in room 211 for help.

An essay is also required with the application. For the essay, you must write 1-1.5 pages explaining why you would like to join NHS, how NHS can impact you, and how you can impact NHS. The essay is a very important component to the application because three to four Faculty Advisory Committee members will read them during the selection process. It is best if your spelling is correct and you are grammatically correct throughout your entire essay. Essays will also be displayed at the induction ceremony on November 7th for families and other students to read.

A common misconception is that Mrs. Shattuck has a say as to who gets in and who doesn’t, but she has no vote in the process. Mrs. Shattuck is there just to be an advisor and make sure everyone in NHS is following the National NHS Constitution.

All applications are due on September 21st, but if you are not accepted you can always apply for due process. Due process is where you will meet with the Faculty Advisory Committee and explain yourself to them. You will talk to them about why you think you should be allowed in and how NHS could benefit having you in it.  You will know on October 5th whether you made it or whether you have to apply for due process because that is the day when the inductee list will be posted outside Mrs. Shattuck’s room, There will be a new inductee meeting on October 17th to go over what the induction ceremony is like and what is expected of you there.