The Bulldog Beat

Ice Cream Shoppe

Out of the many possibilities for a first job, working at an ice cream shop seemed the most fun. I had spent my entire childhood getting cones from the Muir Village Market Ice Cream Shoppe, and since I was little, I knew I wanted to work there. Lucky for me, I was hired last spring. When I decided that this was my dream first job I seemed to overlook that, like many first jobs, it was in customer service.

The first thing that you need to know about my work is that the ice cream girls stay in the ice cream shoppe at the store. This is a very small space; just enough room for three ice cream machines, two long counters, the stock cupboard, a slushie machine, a sink, and the register. It’s very cramped. We also are not allowed to sit down and no, we don’t get discounted ice cream like everyone seems to think we do.

None of this is bad by itself, but mixed with all of the delightful customers, standing in a box for five hours at a time is less glamorous than I thought it would be. I’ve had people yell (and I mean yell) because their shakes were too runny or thick, their flurries didn’t have enough candy, our banana splits are too expensive, everything’s too expensive, the ice cream doesn’t taste good and because “It doesn’t look pretty”. There are also people who try to make you uncomfortable. For example, about a week ago I had a man stare creepily at me the entire time I took and made his order. When I say creepily, I mean he was trying to be creepy. He widened his eyes to the size of saucers and slowly walked toward me with no expression on his face. Being on the job, I had to smile the whole time and call him sir, but I was honestly terrified. Long story short, cut your customer service people some slack, there’s nothing they can do if something doesn’t go exactly right and sometimes it’s not their fault, and if you absolutely must mess with the person waiting on you, at least leave a tip after.