The Bulldog Beat

Different Hairstyles

Haircare is a serious undertaking, especially since there are plenty of us who love to experiment with different hairstyles. We all love our slick ponies and tight braids, but did you know that your adorably chic hairstyle could be hurting your hair? Yes, damaging hairstyles most definitely exist, and you could be causing some serious damage without even knowing it.
But don’t freak out quite yet, because it looks like the key to preserving our gorgeous hair is just to not go overboard with these hairstyles and to give our hair days to recover and rest. Everything in moderation—isn’t that the golden rule, after all? Keep scrolling to find out if your go-to hairstyle is damaging your hair.

Ponytails are a quick and easy way to hide dirty hair and give you a polished look in seconds, but  (yes there is a but) they can be one of the most damaging hairstyles out there. Elastic hair ties can grip the hair too tightly and cut into the hair shaft, causing fraying when they are repeatedly used in the same spot.
So throwing your hair up in a quick pony for the gym every once in a while is okay, but when you’re using the ponytail as your go-to hairstyle every day, it can become a problem. And yes, this policy applies to buns, too. However, if you absolutely cannot go a day without your beloved pony or bun, don’t worry—your hair isn’t totally doomed. Try ditching your rubbery elastic bands for thick, fabric-coated hair ties, such as Emi-Jay’s Hair Ties ($7 for three), for a secure hold that’s gentler on your hair.

We first began with pigtails when we were young and have since upgraded to more advanced styles such as the reverse milkmaid; let’s face it—braids have always been in our lives. We’re not expecting anyone to banish braids from the hairstyle archives completely, but rather to ease up on them (literally). If hair is pulled back too tightly, it can break away from its roots, which can result in splitting, hair weakness, and follicle damage. Braids (which includes boxer and Felicia styles) that are too tight can also cause tensile stress, which occurs when there is constant tugging on hair follicles. “These type of braids can be damaging depending on how tight or heavy the braids are. The stress on the follicle can weaken it and sometimes cause hair loss,” says Jessica O’Brien, artistic educator and stylist at Ouidad.
Regular tensile stress can lead to serious hair loss conditions, such as traction alopecia, which is caused by wearing tight hairstyles for a long period of time.
However, all hope is not lost. You can still wear braids without taking such costly risks. “The best way to wear braids with minimal damage is not braiding too tight at the scalp, taking breaks between wearing braids, and moisturizing your scalp before, during, and after wearing braids with essential oils,” says O’Brien.
Like we said, everything in moderation. You can wear the tight braid for special occasions and then give your hair a break the next day with a more relaxed look.