The Bulldog Beat

Working in Fast Food

If you randomly ask someone on the street, “What’s it like to work in a fast food restaurant?” you’ll likely get a negative response. It’s a common misconception that being a fast food employee is terrible. However, unless you’ve actually worked in the fast food industry, you can’t answer the question. There are pros and cons to working in a fast food restaurant, just like there are pros and cons to any kind of job. Here is the honest truth about working as a fast food employee.

Working in a fast food restaurant is excellent work experience. On a daily basis, you’re dealing with customers, working face-to-face, being part of a team and having responsibility in a kitchen. If it’s your first job, it’s fantastic experience to have on your CV. Working in customer service and a fast paced environment is work experience you can talk about when applying for your next job. Given the stigma attached to it as a line of work (often unfairly), it also shows future employers you are willing to give daunting tasks a try and those in the know understand how hard you have to work in the fast food industry.

Working with food every day sounds like heaven, but in reality, it’s not. After working with the same kind of food on a daily basis, some fast food employees get sick of seeing it. This is why you should avoid applying for jobs at any of your favorite fast foods. Even if you love fried chicken, seeing it every day might eventually turn you against it.

One of the pros of working in fast food is the flexibility. Students and part-time employees can usually get a work rotation that works with their schedules. If you want a temporary job, fast food is a good way to go.

To be honest, you can get rude customers at any kind of restaurant. Just from experience, angry customers tend to have a habit of showing up in fast food places more often. Some people believe they have a right to speak to you more rudely because you’re working on a till. While this is a con, use these experiences as examples for future job interviews when you’re asked how you deal with irate customers.