The Bulldog Beat

Spring Break 2018 Part 6 – Matt DiBenedetto and Racing Wives

For the second day in a row, we showed up at GO FAS Racing, but I was too nervous to go in at first so I made my parents drive around the block three times before I would let them stop. On the second trip around we saw Matt DiBenedetto and his wife Taylor get out their car and walk up to the shop and finally, on the third trip around my dad stopped because we saw other people outside so we wouldn’t be the only ones there. There was a camera crew in the background setting up and getting cameras around which also made me nervous. I didn’t want to be a bother and be somewhere we weren’t supposed to be, but we approached the shop anyway.

When we walked up to the front of the shop the garage door was open revealing the inside of the shop and Matt was outside to greet us. I was shaking and nervous even though I had met him before, but he really is just a common guy who doesn’t act like he’s famous. I had my shirt on of his and a hat, but I also had a diecast car of his for him to sign if he got the chance. He also introduced us to his wife Taylor. He posts videos of her weekly on his Snapchat, Instagram, or other social media when he scares her either with air horns or snakes. All of his fans know who she is and I may have been more excited to see her.

Matt and Tay hanging out in front of the hauler when we first arrived.

We all stood around and talked for a while and then they introduced us to the other people who were there too. There was a little girl also named Taylor with her dad and another guy who wanted Matt to sign something for him. Little Taylor and her dad were also at the shop the day before and Ryan also told them to come back to meet Matt so she did. She brought Matt and Tay each a poster she drew of each of them to keep. We had Matt sign some stuff and I also had Tay sign some of it too. Ryan Ellis, the PR man,  gave each me a stack containing each of Matt’s hero cards and he asked Matt to sign them for me. He happily did and before we were going to leave, Matt asked if all of us would like to take a group picture together so he could post it on his social media accounts.

The picture of Little Taylor with Matt and Tay that Tay posted on her social media accounts.

My mom asked Matt and Tay if they would take a picture with me. They both agreed and we laughed the whole time we were trying to set it up. We didn’t know who should be in the middle so finally, I ended up in the middle sandwiched between them. After we took our individual pictures with the couple, we took the group photograph and said goodbye, but the people from the camera crew asked us if we would stay and be in the filming of a new show they were trying out. My parents and I agreed so we had to sign paperwork and take a picture with it for the network to use. The show is called “Racing Wives” and is centered around the wives of NASCAR and their everyday life as well as fan interactions. We were so shocked that we were actually going to be in a TV show. They wanted fans interacting with Matt at the shop and it was perfect that all of us just so happened to be there.

Matt, Tay, and I outside the shop.

Before we started filming, Tay ran into the shop and came out with cars we could have Matt sign during the video. She came back out and handed us all cars that were driven by Jeffrey Earnhardt. Jeffery drove the car before Matt took it over, but that was all they had in the shop and the cars look the exact same so we just rolled with it. We started filming and all of us were outside the shop waiting for Matt and Tay to come out along with Ryan and Mason, the general manager. When they all came out we just stood in a circle and talked and joked around and tried to make it not look fake. We had basically said everything we wanted to do before they decided to film us so now we just tried to fill the silence while the cameras were out. We all had Matt sign the Jeffrey cars that Tay provided us with and we were asked questions by the camera crew. One of the questions asked was why we were fans of Matt. I didn’t answer, but if I would’ve, I would have said that I like Matt because he has a good personality and tries to interact with the fans as much as possible. He doesn’t care what people think or say about him; he’s just a genuine, fun loving person who is living the dream doing what he loves everyday. He is funny, personable, and caring. There is no one else on the race track I would rather cheer on all day everyday.

Ryan (left) and Mason (right) hanging out while filming the show.

The camera crew suggested we take another group photo which we did. Ryan then announced they had to get the car in the hauler so we all waved goodbye and were about to leave the shop. The crew called cut and behind us we heard Ryan yelling so we turned around and he was running after us. He started laughing and explaining that we didn’t have to go yet. He just had to say that for the show. We all came back to Matt, Tay, Ryan, and Mason to just hang out for a little while longer until they had to finish the show. We finally waved goodbye and thanked them for having us for the final time and got in the van. We had been there for at least an hour, more than I could’ve ever dreamed of. I couldn’t believe what had just happened. Later that day, the group picture showed up on Matt’s social media and then, I think it finally sank in. I just kept saying in the van that I had just hung out with Matt DiBenedetto for over an hour like we were close friends. It was surreal. I cried for a little while, but I mentally prepared myself for what may happen next at Joe Gibbs Racing.

Matt’s social media post on Twitter