The Bulldog Beat

Third Match

Last night the girls tennis team had a match home against Waverly. We chose this night to honor Kaylee Taylor who died in a tragic car accident last week. Before introductions, we had a moment of silence for her and everyone on the team released a blue balloon because blue was her favorite color. Administrators, family, and friends came out to support and all came on to the court while we released the balloons. There was a strong sense of support from the community and we all wanted to play well for Kaylee.

We did accomplish that because we swept Waverly; we beat them 8-0. That win meant the most to us because we knew Kaylee was watching. I was very nervous for my match because I was playing Isabella Pizzo who I knew had been named All-Area singles by the Lansing State Journal, which is one step away from the Lansing State Journal Dream Team. I started off down 0-2 in the first set but brought it back to 2-2 after I settled down and shook some of my nerves. I went on to win three more to be up 5-2; she then won one game but then I finished out the set 6-3. Once I figured out to break her serve, she couldn’t win rallies or finish points. I won the second set easily with a score of 6-1. I was so excited because I honestly didn’t think I could win. After the match, I gave our assistant coach Kayley Zamarron a huge hug and I know Coach Bauknecht was so proud of me too. Coach told me later that Waverly’s coach told her that I really frustrated the girl I was playing and that I knew how to angle my shots and place them. I was thrilled that he said that about me; that match dignified all the hard work I have been putting in. Hopefully I keep the streak going when we play Williamston on Tuesday. This win was especially for Kaylee but every win this season is for her.