The Bulldog Beat

Level 5 Tournament

Last weekend I played in a level 5 tournament and there were four girls including me so it was a round robin where everyone played each other. First, I played a girl that I had previously beat 6-1 at a different tournament in November. As soon as we started the match, I realized that she had gotten better since the last time I played her. She didn’t make as many errors and her forehand was harder and more consistent. We were playing 8 game pro-sets but we ran out of time so she ending up beating me 7-3. My next match was against a girl that I had never played and I was a little distracted because the MSU men’s basketball team was playing Purdue and my mom was giving me signals through the window to tell me the score. I wasn’t as focused on the match as I should have been and I lost 7-4 because we ran out of time again. She had a slice on almost every ball she hit and they bounced very low to the ground so it was challenging to hit them back with force. When I tried to hit them with force, they went long and I lost the point instantly.

Finally, I played a girl that was ranked #4 at the Level 4 tournament so that meant she was pretty good. She had beaten both girls that I just played. As the match started, my forehand started to feel more consistent and my serve receive was better against her tough serve. She became very frustrated because it seemed like she expected to beat me with no challenge. The final score was 8-4; I was upset that I lost again but I was proud that I won 4 games against her, which was more than the other two girls. I have another level 5 tournament this weekend that will be very tough because there are some skilled players signed up. I hope to keep improving and keep learning for the high school season.