The Bulldog Beat

Sore Throat

On Tuesday morning, I woke up with a sore throat. My family had been sick for the past couple weeks so I figured it was the start of a cold. I took some ibuprofen in the morning, Tylenol when I got home from school, and then ibuprofen when I went to bed. I was acting like I was fine because I like to think that if I have a positive attitude, I won’t act very sick. I woke up with a sore throat on Wednesday again and it was a little worse. I took the same medicine at the same times and tried not to think about it.

On Thursday, I woke up before my alarm in pain. I got out of bed and looked at my tonsils in the mirror; they were very swollen and my left tonsil was almost touching my uvula. I told my mom and she started worrying but I did my best to not act sick so I would feel better. Friday and Saturday morning were even worse; I woke up wanting to cry because my throat hurt so bad. My tonsils were both touching my uvula because they were so swollen. My mom took me to the walk in clinic because I had the same sore throat problem a month ago. The doctor checked to see if I had a strep throat and the test came back negative. She said it was a normal sore throat and sent me home. I was relieved but I hoped it didn’t get worse after I didn’t get an antibiotic.

Yesterday I was in pain all day and this morning I woke up at 5:30 in excruciating pain. I forced down some toast this morning even though my throat is almost closed shut because my tonsils are so swollen. If I don’t feel better by tomorrow morning, my mom is going to take me to my regular doctor in hopes of getting an antibiotic.