The student news site of Ionia High School

The Bulldog Beat

Baseball Pre-Season

Monday, April 13th was the first day of tryouts for the baseball team. There were three days of tryouts. Out of nine-teen people that tried out, five were cut. “The best part is playing with my teammates again, the worst part is that it was cold at the start,” said Parker Kirby. Baseball is probably the worst playing in cold because if you are not moving constantly, it’s very easy to freeze. Yet again playing in really hot weather is not fun either, the perfect weather is right in between the hot and cold for baseball.

I asked Eric Butler how it felt to be back to the game since last year due to poor grades he was not able to compete. He said, “It feels great coming back to Ionia, at Welch there weren’t any sports so I missed a complete year of baseball; it was the worst feeling ever not being on that field and I’m so glad I’m back.” Going to Welch, Eric became a better student and it gave him the drive to be back into the game. I asked Brian Hamilton how it felt being his last year to play ball. He stated, “It is exciting and sad at the same time.” Brian is going to somehow stay active with baseball weather that means playing in college or coaching something along those lines.

The players on the team are, Parker Kirby, Max Sharp, Brian Hamilton, Eric Butler, Cameron Sanicki, Patrick Hall, Luke Weaver, Alec White, Alec Phelps, Gage Taylor, Andrew Fox, Connor Wolcott, Matt Grand-Giard, and Clayton Scheurer. They are ready to have a good season all excited for the first games and some have butterflies have a good season ionia baseball players show emotion and sportsmanship you guys will all have a good year go get them dawgs.