The student news site of Ionia High School

The Bulldog Beat

Ionia Bowling Regionals

The team event was the first event of the regional bowling meet which took place over February 24th and 25th. The team ended up sixth in the region due to less teams competing than expected. Regionals is

Regional bowling competition is played at many different alleys. After every bowler bowled in the same game, called baker, the boys’ team was sitting in sixth. Unfortunately, they just didn’t have the experience and gas to make it to top three. The next day was individual regionals, Alex Bentley has always dreamed of making it to states, but his first frame of the second game was heartbreaking. He went to throw his ball, ended up falling on the lane which made a foul happen so that throw didn’t count. He went to pick the ball

The second day of competition on February 25th was focused on individual bowlers.  Alex Bentley has always dreamed of making it to states, but his first frame of the second game was heartbreaking. He went to throw his ball, ended up falling on the lane which made a foul happen, so that throw didn’t count. He went to pick the ball up, but fouled again. In an attempt to make his shoes stop sliding, he got alley shoes. Unfortunately, he hadn’t worn a pair of shoes from an alley for about five years. “It has been a problem for a little while, but never this bad. It’s extremely upsetting, but it happened. I threw them away and looks like for when I bowl on men’s league. I’m going to get new shoes before then.” Another bowler, Adam Bentley, was the closest to making it to state and was sitting in ninth place until he bowled a one-fifty-one and that dropped his place to nineteenth. After the event, he learned he was

Another bowler, Adam Bentley, was the closest to making it to state competition and was sitting in ninth place until he bowled a 151, dropping his place to nineteenth. After the event, he learned he was 59 pins away from the cut. When asked how it felt to be so close he said, “Pretty good, what happened happened, looking forward to next year. I’m making it. Mark my words.”

Izaick Rowe got something from his teammate, Joey Kilchermann, a bowling ball. “Joey didn’t use it so I asked and he gave it to me.” For individuals, only ten people in the region can make it, but nobody from Ionia made it. Joey was asked about how it felt being his last year. “It went fast and I’m hoping to bowl on leagues.” Keegan Dalman said when asked about his first year, “I’m already ready for next season I love bowling.”